“God Bend Me”
The Welsh Revival
The Welsh REVIVAL of 1904 resulted in over 100,000 people converted and added to the churches in Wales.
( 250,000 / 30 revivals around the world.)
Q. What is REVIVAL?
A significant move of the Holy Spirit that not only AWAKENS the church but it AWAKENS those outside the church.
- God used a 26 year old nobody named Evan Roberts.
- Deeply burdened…Christianity failing…He began to pray!
- He encountered the Holy Spirit in a significant way.
- Vision- 100,000 souls saved. He believed God!
- A church our size in Wales filled up w/ people praying.
- God Bend Me!
- Lives were TRANSFORMED!
- Lifestyles were CHANGED!
- Homes and families were HEALED!
- Churches were packed and ON FIRE with fervor & zeal!
- The social impact was ASTOUNDING!
5 years later more than 80% of those saved were still in fellowship!
This week… I kept being drawn back to the The Welsh Revival of 1904
Studying the Welsh Revival we learn that prayer preceded the Welsh Revival…
Prayer ALWAYS precedes Revival!
Prayer always precedes the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. (Bible & Church History)
2 chronicles 7:14 IF My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, THEN I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
Acts 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.
Acts 4:31 When they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, & they spoke the word of God with boldness.
Interesting: Evan prayed for 11 years!
The 4 points of the Welsh Revival
1. We must confess to God any known sin we have and make right any wrong done to one another.
2. We must put away any doubtful habits.
3. We must obey the Spirit promptly.
4. We must profess our faith publicly.
1. We must CONFESS to God any known sin we have and make right any wrong to one another.
Isaiah 59:1-2 Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened,
That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear. 2 BUT your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.
Psalm 139:23-24(Amp) Search me thoroughly, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! 24 And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Ps 32:4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; My vitality was turned into the drought of summer. Selah 5 I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” And You forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah
When we confess sin to God it leads to REVIVAL!
You may not be saved … Holy Spirit is AWAKENING you this morning.To ask God to forgive you & cleanse you & even bend you!
1. We must confess to God any known sin we have and MAKE RIGHT any wrong done to one another.
Mark 11:25 And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.
Matthew 5:23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, & then come and offer your gift.
Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
When we’re experiencing REVIVAL. We want to make things right with people that we have WRONGED !
Again you may be somebody here today… and GOD is AWAKENING YOU to SEE… the One you’ve WRONGED The One your NOT RIGHT WITH is… GOD!
2. We must PUT AWAY any doubtful habit.
- Drinking excessively
- Gambling addiction
- Music, television, movies your watching (entertainment)
- Facebook or social media or video game addiction
- Emotional affair with someone of the opposite sex
- Smoking pot
- Something or someone that has become an idol in your heart.
A doubtful habit can be something that may not be wrong in & of itself but it’s become WRONG in your heart.
When GOD is REVIVING us we want to put away habits that aren’t pleasing to God or are even quenching the Spirit!
Q. Is there a doubtful habit that Isn’t pleasing to God or is even quenching the Holy Spirit in your life?
3. We must OBEY the Holy Spirit promptly.
Galatians 5:25 In step with the Holy Spirit (Cultivate)
It’s strangely encouraging to me… to find Paul struggling… to be in step with the Holy Spirit! (Acts 16)
When the Lord spoke .. Paul sailed immediately.
Q. Why was that important? A. A woman named Lydia was praying by a river in Phillipi.
Being in step with HS led to first church in Europe..
When we learn to OBEY the Holy Spirit promptly it leads to REVIVAL. (one of my kids) ( my prayer for my kids) ( trail head)
4. We must profess our faith publicly.
We can’t be secret followers of Jesus! Progression (Explain)
The Holy Spirit wants to prompt us EVERY DAY to see people (souls) around us…
REVIVAL comes outside the church when believers by the power & leading of the H.S. begin to see & act & care & speak to one person at a time as the H.S. prompts us!
Lets close praying that God would AWAKEN us!
- God AWAKEN Me! (Maybe your NOT saved?)
- God REVIVE Me!
- God BEND Me!
- Do it AGAIN!
Last song….. then Elders & wives up front. (Laying hands on us)