- Moses (Exodus 34:28)
- David (2 Samuel 12:16; Psalm 35:13; 69:10; 109:24)
- Psalm 35:13: … I humbled myself with fasting
- Jehoshaphat with all of Israel
- 2 Chronicles 20:3-4: And Jehoshaphat feared, and set himself to seek the Lord, and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah. So Judah gathered together to ask help from the Lord; and from all the cities of Judah they came to seek the Lord.
- 2 Chronicles 20:12: “Oh our God, will You not judge them? For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You.”
- Ezra with those traveling with him to Israel
- Ezra 8:21, 23: Then I proclaimed a fast there at the river of Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from Him the right way for us and our little ones and all our possessions. So we fasted and entreated our God for this, and He answered our prayer.
- Nehemiah (Again with all of Israel in Nehemiah 9:1)
- Nehemiah 1:4: I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.
- Esther 4:16: Go, gather all the Jews … and fast for me; neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will fast likewise. And so I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish!
- Daniel 9:20-23: Now while I was speaking, praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God …
- Daniel 10:3: I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
- Daniel 10:11-13: Gabriel said to me, “Oh Daniel, man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak to you… from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me.
- Josiah (Jeremiah 36:9) with all of Israel
- The people of Nineveh (Jonah 3:5)
- The prophetess Anna (Luke 2:37)
- Luke 4:14: Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee.
- The Disciples failed to pray and fast
- Matthew 17:21: However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.
- Cornelius (Acts 10) Prayer and Fasting and Visions
- Paul with the leaders in Antioch
- Acts 13:2: While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
- Paul and Barnabas (Acts 14:23)
Who is this Fast for?
- For our church! Is this your church?
- Corporate fast! (Everything open and spread before Lord.)
- I want to ask you to be part of this years week of prayer and fasting!!
- Our city! Everybody we can get to come!
Who are we fasting for? Ultimately for the Lord!
- Zechariah 7:5: Say to all the people of the land, and to the priests: “When you fasted … did you really fast for Me – for Me?”
- What is fasting? Fasting literally means “No food!”
- Fasting is: saying NO to food and YES to God!
- Fasting is: denying the physical to seek the spiritual.
- Biblically: “FASTING” primarily means saying no to food, but NOT just food! It also can involve saying no to things we enjoy and take pleasure in!
- 1 Corinthians 7:2-3, 5: But because there is so much sexual immorality … The husband should fulfill his wife’s sexual needs, and the wife should fulfill her husband’s needs. Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves to fasting and prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
- Sugar / Chocolate
Turning down the dials of your life…
What fasting and prayer is NOT:
- to be righteous
- a hunger strike! Fasting and prayer!
- a diet!
- about the health benefits
- Home? Yes, of course! Work? Yes, of course!
- Keep in mind this is a corporate fast and is one of the most powerful corporate weeks of the year here at the church!
- “Our seasons of fasting and prayer at the Tabernacle have been high days indeed; never has Heaven’s gate stood wider; never have our hearts been nearer the central Glory.” ~Charles Spurgeon
- Jesus said when you fast …not if…
- Matthew 6:16: When you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. Your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
- Starts next Sunday and finishes Sat evening.
- WHEN will work for you? What days? What times? ▪️Morning ▪️Lunch ▪️Evening
- Is there anyway you can clear your schedule NOW?
- Ask help from God
- As a way to humble ourselves before God
- Powerful weapon in the spiritual realm (lost weapon)
- To hear God
- Absolute Fast- No food or water (Powerful for a day!)
- Normal fast – No food
- Partial Fast- Daniel fast OR a juice fast OR ________?
Daniel 10:3: I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
Your fast could be a combination of types of fasting …
- I’ve tried fasting (to be honest) God didn’t answer. Keep praying!! Don’t give up!
- Should kids fast?
- Should kids see their parents fast? YES
- If I’m not fasting can I still come and pray? YES!
- If you’re not able to be here next week, Prayer Chain. Connect booth become part of our online community.
- Medications: Make sure you talk to your doctor FIRST
- Pray about helping us STEWARD / LEAD this work.
White as snow…….
- Scarred landscape
- Isaiah 1:18: “Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.”